Tuesday, May 24, 2016


Footprints




I'm sure there are few who have never read this wonderful poem.  It's one that I've thought about on an almost daily basis.  It is such a comfort in those times when I feel helpless, and even a few times, hopeless.  I've often heard stories of people going through challenging life circumstances, where they are characterized, by never having said, "Why me."  Although I'm not proud of it by any means, I definitely have moments of, "Why me."  It can be a very easy place to go, and it is a very lonely place.  One may even wonder if what they are going through is some kind of punishment.  As both of my children have certainly said when being reprimanded, "It's not fair!"

For me, this poem provides a crystal clear visual image to focus on.  My choice would certainly be to remain in a place of defiance, where my thoughts are "I'm going to kick this tumor's butt," and the like, however, there are times when I can't.  When I'm stuck in that lonely, helpless, or hopeless, "Why me" place, the image of being carried is so powerful and comforting.  Even though we may be years removed from our childhood, we still have that need to be carried.  It's the ultimate support and comfort.  When I am at those lowest points, and I visualize the one set of footprints in the sand, there is no doubt that He is carrying me and will never let me walk this path alone.

-JML

No comments:

Post a Comment